Here’s Louis‘ Flapjack recipe, photos will follow. In English, of course. I hope you continue to have a nice Easter vacation, the sun is a dream. So that you don’t forget English completely, the recipe is in English. You don’t need yeast either :-):
The key to making these bars is to maintain a ratio of liquid to dry (oats, wheat germ, almond flour or whatever you choose. When you mix it all together, the mass consistency should be very similar to a firm ‚meatball‘ texture. The second key is to allow the bars to cool completely and rather quickly – I place them in the fridge shortly after baking.
- 300 g margarine
- 300 g Demerara sugar
- 10 tbs – 200g of syrup
- 200g Almond or peanut butter
- 600 g rolled oats
- Spices (as many as you can find): 2Tbsp Ground Ginger, 1 Tbsp Ground Cardamon, 2Tsbp Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract or Almond.
- Dried fruit: 1/4 cup crystalised ginger, 1/4 cup mixed peel, 3 cups dried fruit (raisins, dates, cranberries)
- Seeds / nuts: 1 cup seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, pine, sesame), 2 Tbsp flax seeds, 1 cup of almond meal, whole wheat for buckwheat flour, 1 cup of coarsely chopped dry roasted nuts (hazelnuts work well)
- Pre-heat oven to 190 C.
- Melt the margarine, sugar and syrup in a pot over a low heat.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add nut butter.
- Rest for 5 minutes to cool then add vanilla extract.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients (oats, nuts, seeds etc) then add and combine to the wet mix.
- Stir thoroughly (you might want to use your hands for this). You are looking for a meatball like consistency – it should be sticky and moist, not too dry.
- Line pan with non-stick baking / parchment paper.
- Place mix in pan, push down with the back of a spoon to compact.
- Make a topping mixture of sugar, cinnamon, cardamon and ginger (1/2 cup sugar, 1 / 4tsp each of other spices) and sprinkle evenly over top of mixture.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then rotate and cook for a further 15 minutes (approx. 30 minutes total, but check! You don’t want it to be too dark around the edges)
- Remove and allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place in freezer overnight before cutting into squares.
- Consume, can store the remaining slices in the freezer.